Jason B. Lattimore
Jason Lattimore has over a decade of experience handling complex intellectual property and commercial matters for both established businesses and start up companies. He focuses on trademark and trade secret issues, as well as matters involving confidentiality agreements, non-competition agreements and other restrictive covenants. Additionally, Mr. Lattimore has a depth of experience as New Jersey counsel in patent litigation and is an experienced commercial litigator.
Prior to establishing his own law firm, Mr. Lattimore practiced at Latham & Watkins, one of the largest and most well-respected firms in the world. His accomplishments included obtaining a significant settlement on behalf of a plaintiff in a case involving claims of trade secret misappropriation and trademark infringement. Mr. Lattimore also served as one of the lead defense attorneys in litigation involving alleged misappropriation of engineering trade secrets and breach of restrictive covenants, where the amount of claimed damages exceeded $100 million.
Mr. Lattimore brings his big-firm experience to bear on the matters he now handles for his clients. His more recent accomplishments and experience include:
- Achieving settlement on behalf of a New Jersey business in trademark litigation with a major international cosmetics manufacturer.
- Negotiating a settlement of trademark litigation on behalf of a California tobacco products distributor that had been sued by a manufacturer of smokeless tobacco products.
- Advising a consumer products company on intellectual property matters in preparation for a nation-wide product launch, and obtaining trademark registrations to protect the company’s brands.
- Serving on a team of attorneys that defeated a motion to dismiss anti-trust claims related to a brand pharmaceutical manufacturer’s refusal to supply drug samples to generic companies for testing.
Throughout his career, Mr. Lattimore has also handled numerous commercial litigation matters across a broad variety of issues and industries. His cases have included claims such as breach of contract, fraud, tortious interference with contract, violation of the False Claims Act, unjust enrichment, and claims under the consumer fraud and civil RICO statutes of New Jersey and other jurisdictions. His experience spans subject matters that include software development agreements, pharmaceutical distribution agreements, intellectual property licensing agreements, partnership disputes, and close corporation shareholder disputes. In addition to handling general litigation matters, Mr. Lattimore counsels clients regarding legal business issues, such as the evaluation of proposed contract terms and the interpretation of existing contractual obligations.
Mr. Lattimore has significant stand-up courtroom experience, having participated in the trial or arbitration of several cases and having conducted countless additional hearings, including preliminary injunction hearings. Mr. Lattimore has also represented clients in mediation on multiple occasions.
Mr. Lattimore graduated from Princeton University in 1994, where he was a national-class decathlete and co-captain of the track and field team. He earned a second Ivy League degree when he graduated from the University of Pennsylvania Law School in 2000, after pursuing a post-collegiate athletic career. In addition to running his law practice, he is currently a member of the Board of Trustees of Teen Pride, Inc., an organization that provides counseling and support to at-risk teens in the Morris County area. Mr. Lattimore was formerly a commissioner on the Morristown Redevelopment Agency.
- University of Pennsylvania Law School – J.D., 2000
- Princeton University – B.A., 1994
- New Jersey – 2000; District of New Jersey – 2000
- New York – 2001; Southern and Eastern Districts of New York – 2002
Activities & Awards
- New Jersey Super Lawyers “Rising Star” 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2012
- Board of Trustees, Teen Pride, Inc.
- Commissioner on the Morristown (NJ) Redevelopment Agency – 2003 through 2006
- John C. Lifland American Inn of Court – 2001-2006
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Association of the Federal Bar NJ
- Named to the New Jersey All-Century Track and Field Team
- Co-Captain of the Princeton University Track & Field team
- Princeton school record holder in the pentathlon
- Masters track and field 40-44 age group national champion – pentathlon
- “As Long As You Tried Your Best: Best efforts by a licensee cannot be assumed just because a licensing agreement calls for an advance or guaranteed royalty” (co-authored)
(July 22, 2002 intellectual property supplement to the New Jersey Law Journal)
- “Admission of Expert Testimony: Determining the Standard” (co-authored)
(The Bergen Barrister, Autumn 2002)